Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Epic Beauty Battle: The Original Beauty Blender vs. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

Hello Beauties!

Welcome to another installment of Epic Beauty Battle!  If you're new to my blog, I will be comparing two products that I have found to be very similar and have been deemed to be dupes of one another.  I will give you a review of the products and my thoughts.  Today I will be comparing the ever so popular original Beauty Blender and the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge.  To put it out there, I LOVE these two products and use either one every time I apply makeup.

The Original Beauty Blender vs. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
The Claims:

The original Beauty Blender claims....
  • An edgeless, non-disposable, high-definition cosmetic sponge applicator. 
  • The Beauty Blender ensures impeccable, streak-free application with minimum product waste. 
The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge claims...
  • Rounded sides blend large areas of the face with a repeated dabbing or stippling motion.
  • Precision tip covers blemishes and imperfections.
  • Flat edge for the contours around the eyes and nose.
  • Its versatile design evenly blends makeup for a smooth, enhanced finish, leaving you looking gorgeous.
The Facts:

The Beauty Blender

  • Versions: Original (Pink), Pro(Black), Pure(White), Red Carpet(Red)
  • Latex-free, non-allergenic, and odor-free
  • Retails for $19.95
  • Can be purchased at Sephora or amazon.com
The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

  • Retails for $5.99
  • Latex-free 
  • Can be purchased at Ulta, Walmart, amazon.com, or RealTechniques.com


In My Geeky Opinion:

How to use:

The directions apply for use of both sponges.
  1. Wet the sponge with water.  I recommend placing the sponge under running water so it becomes saturated. Then I ring the sponge out.  Repeat this several times.
  2. Once completed, squeeze out all the excess water into a clean towel.  Each sponge will now look almost double its original dry size.  
  3. Now, you are ready to use the sponge!  Use it with your primer, foundation, concealer, or cream products.  I dab the product over my face first and then bounce the sponge to get an even, flawless finish.
  4. Clean the sponge and allow to air-dry.  
Beauty Blender Wet
Miracle Complexion Sponge Wet




















How to clean:

I have tried liquid soap and solid soap but it doesn't get them clean enough!  I found the best way to clean both sponges is with the Beauty Blender Solid or Liquid Blender Cleanser.  These cleansers really get the sponges clean.  I do find that if you don't clean them after use, the sponges can get stained with product.  I find it harder to get the Real Techniques Sponge clean and back to its original color. 

*** Check my earlier Makeup 101: How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes for more details 

How long do these sponges last?

Disclaimer: I am a natural girl so I go makeup free more often than not.  These results may vary based on makeup usage.

I found that the Beauty Blender keeps its original shape much longer.  It took a good 6 months before I decided to get rid of it.  Even at the end of the 6 months, the shape was intact but it just looked too dirty to use.  After 2-3 months the Miracle Complexion Sponge started to wear and lose it's shape.  I found bits of the sponge fraying off.  

The Final Verdict:  

I have been using both products for a long period of time and I have re-purchased both several times.  That is how much I love both of these products.  I always reach for one or the other.  I love how they leave me with a flawless, even finish.  No streaks!  I admit that I love the texture of the Beauty Blender and the feel as I bounce it off my skin.  I wouldn't call the sponges "dupes" because the texture is different, however they leave the same finish on the skin.  I feel the Miracle Complexion Sponge absorbs more product than the Beauty Blender.  

Who Won?

I have to give it to the Beauty Blender!  I know it is more pricey, however I like the feel on the skin.  It lasts longer, looks cleaner and retains its shape.  If you are on a budget, go for the Miracle Complexion Sponge.  You will get the the same end result but I personally prefer the Beauty Blender.  Overall, I would recommend these products to anyone!

I hope you all enjoyed this blogpost.  If you have any questions, comments, feedback, or requests, please leave them down below.  Don't forget to follow my blog to stay up to date!  Follow me on social media...all the links are in the sidebar.  Also feel free to email me at geektochicbeauty@gmail.com.  Stay Beautiful, Stay True!

Geek2Chic - Christine 

1 comment:

  1. I use the Real Techniques sponge. It is great! It is very easy to apply foundation with it. Cleaning Tip: Mix dish washing liquid and olive oil on a plate. Wet the sponge and then Roll and cover sponge with it. Work it into the wet sponge and then rinse it out. All the makeup comes off. Sponge looks like new.

    ReplyDelete