Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Save or Splurge? GLAMGLOW Supermud Clearing Treatment

Hello Beauties!

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen me purchase the GLAMGLOW Supermud Clearing Treatment for a "steal".  I went into Marshall's to peruse and ran out of there with this product.  I was so excited!  It has been getting so much hype in the beauty community and I have been dying to try this product for such a long time.  I have been putting it to the ultimate test for Geek2Chic research purposes.  So...Is it worth the splurge?  Keep on reading!

Please note that there are several GLAMGLOW Products.  I will be exclusively reviewing the Supemud Clearing Treatment (white packaging).



The Facts:

This products can be found at Sephora, Neiman Marcus, glamglowmud.com or amazon.com.  It retails for a whopping $69.99.  I purchased mine at Marshall's for $39.99.

It is formulated without parabens, sulfates, and phthalates.

The Claims:

According to the Sephora website, this product claims to...
  • Help fight all common skin concerns including breakouts, discoloration, black and white heads, razor bumps, and ingrown hair. 
  • Powerful, skin-clearing mud visibly draws out dirt and congestion while a proprietary six-acid blend dramatically brightens and softens skin. 
  • It works to magnetically draw out dirt and pores with activated-X charcoal, leaving skin smooth and healthy-looking. 

How to use?
  1. Apply a thin layer to clean skin and leave on for 5 - 20 minutes. 
  2. Remove with water. 
  3. Use as often as needed as a full mask or as a spot treatment. 
A few precautions before using this product.... Keep this product away from your eyes.  It may also increase sun photosensitivity.  Basically, don't use this product before box-tanning or going out in the sun.   Also, if you have an open wound, do not use this product.  

In My Geeky Opinion:

Let me start by talking about first impressions with use of this products. The smell is quite strong and smells of mint and licorice.  When I used it as a mask, the scent was so strong that it made my eyes tear a bit.  I eventually got over this and with subsequent uses it didn't really bother me.  


For the most part, it goes on smoothly but you do notice some grittiness in the texture.  It goes on dark gray that looks like charcoal and dries to light gray.  While it dries you start noticing your pores and any blemishes on your skin become very exaggerated.  It is cool and gross at the same time.

I tried cleaning it off my face over the sink and made a huge mess!  I recommend jumping into the shower to clean it off with warm water because it is a bit difficult to fully remove.  It would leave my skin feeling mildly dry, tight, and cool.  I do recommend moisturizing after use of this product.

After the first few uses of this products, I noticed more blemishes then before!  It really purged my skin.  I felt my skin was smoother and softer but I started breaking out like nuts.  Not small breakouts, but deep cystic acne breakouts!  I was having PTSD!  If you have been reading my blog you know I have combination skin.  I suffered from cystic acne for years during my mid to late twenties.  Now my skin has been getting so much better but I will get hormonal breakouts occasionally.  I thought maybe its just me and my skin type that are prone to these breakouts.  


So, I convinced my husband to try it out with me to see how his skin reacts.  His skin is clear and normal; not too dry and not too oily!  He will get a pimple every now and then but its very few and far inbetween.  His skin had the same exact reaction.  This product really purges the skin!  He broke out like I have never seen before.  He had huge cystic acne lesions especially in his beard.  He got angry and needless to say, he never used it again.    

I decided that instead of using it as a mask, I would use it as a spot treatment.   It will bring any blemishes to the surface more quickly.  Using it as a spot treatment, the blemish will cure a little faster but don't expect it to go away overnight.       

Final Verdict:

My final feelings on this product are MEH.  I do not like it as a mask because it makes me breakout.  I prefer it more as a spot treatment however I am not overly impressed.  Overall, I would not spend the money on it again.  I am going to finish off the remaining product I have now, but I do not plan on repurchasing it.  My advice is to SAVE your money.  Seventy bucks is a lot of money.  It better be a miracle worker if I am going to shell out that much money, and this product is not a miracle worker.  

I hope you all enjoyed this blogpost.  If you have any questions, comments, feedback, or requests, please leave them down below.  Don't forget to follow my blog to stay up to date!  Follow me on social media...all the links are in the sidebar.  Also feel free to email me at geektochicbeauty@gmail.com.  Stay Beautiful, Stay True!

Geek2Chic - Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment