Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Epic Beauty Battle: Hourglass vs. NYX

Hello Beauties!    

Today's blogpost will be an Epic Beauty Battle!  I will be comparing two of my holy grail makeup items head to head.  Several months back, I received a sample of the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.  I quickly fell in love with the product and finished the sample even quicker!  I headed to Sephora to pick up the full sized and had a little sticker shock.  Luckily, I have wonderful family members and got it on my birthday.  Since then I have been trying to find a good dupe.  I will be comparing the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer to the NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer. 
           
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer 
NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer














The Claims:

The Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Claims...
  • A mineral-based, water-resistant primer with SPF 15 that neutralizes the skin, minimizes shine, and creates a smooth uniform canvas for flawless makeup application. 
  • Clean, satin-finish formula helps keep makeup looking fresh and prevents fading.
  • Veil Mineral Primer also absorbs excess oils and minimizes the appearance of pores by evenly distributing light to help hide and soften skin imperfections and fine lines. 
The NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer Claims...
  • This super silky, light and fresh formula creates a comfortable cushion on your skin to enhance makeup application.
  • Creates a smooth, uniformed canvas that minimizes shine and makes application flawless.
  • Your skin will feel like it has been TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL?

The Facts:



The Hourglass primer comes in a glass bottle with a pump (gotta love a pump!).  As you can see, it comes out white but when applied to the skin, it becomes undetectable. 

You can find Hourglass products at Sephora, HourglassCosmetics.com, and Barney's.  

It comes in three sizes:

0.33 Oz - $18
1.0 Oz   - $52
2.0 Oz   - $72 (Comes in a squeeze tube)






The NYX primer comes in a squeeze plastic tube.  It is also white in color and glides seamlessly onto the skin for an undetectable finish.

You can find NYX products in Ulta, NYXCosmetics.com, Urban Outfitters, and select drugstores (I have seen it at CVS and Target in NJ).  

It only comes in one size: 

1.0 Oz - $16




In My Geeky Opinion: 

How to Apply?

I applied both products with my fingers.  The Hourglass Primer is applied to the Left side when looking at me and the NYX primer on your right hand side.  It is smooths out to be undetectable and neither of them leave a white cast.  


<----Hourglass Primer   NYX Primer---->
Please note... My face is usually lighter than my neck and chest...I exfoliate! And yes, I do need tons of sleep.  Thank goodness my under-eye concealer is amazing.  

Texture?

They both have a very silky feel as you massage it into your skin.  Like I mentioned previously, you cannot even tell you have anything on your face!  The finish is very smooth.  I did notice that the NYX primer is thicker compared to the Hourglass Primer.  

One thing I did notice on part of both primers is that you have to shake them well or else the product settles and they both come out very liquidy. 

SPF?

The Hourglass product has SPF 15.  The NYX primer does not mention SPF anywhere on the website however it contains Titanium Dioxide (they both do).  Titanium Dioxide reflects UVA & UVB rays to protect the skin.  It is used as an alternative to chemical-based sunscreen agents.  So even though its not written anywhere, it does have an ingredient to protect your skin.  

With flash photography, neither primer gives a white cast to the face.  

So who should wear this?

I think both these products would be best for combination to oily skin.  Whenever I have dry patches on my skin, the products cling on to them and the foundation does not go on as smoothly as I would prefer.  Also, if you are of a dark complexion, these products may appear very ashy when applied. 

How long does it wear?

So this is me before a shift at work.  As you can see, you cannot tell the difference between each side.  
             


7 hours later.....This is me hard at work!  Makeup looks good!  I am not oily or shiny or greasy looking.  My blush stayed on both sides rather well and the foundation is keeping up with my busy work day.  


12 hours later....This is at the end of my work day.  Now both sides are shiny, the hourglass side less so but my blush is more prominent on the NYX side.  I do see more fading and breakdown of the foundation on the Hourglass side but very minimal.  All in all I look decent for 12 hours after initial makeup application.  

Hourglass
NYX


The Final Verdict:  

These two products are my HOLY GRAIL products.  I always reach for either one.  I love how they both smooth out my imperfections and fine lines.  I love the texture, the wear they given my makeup and they do not break me out.  Overall, I would recommend these products to anyone!

Who Won?

I have to give it to NYX!  I am sorry Hourglass, I love your products but my wallet sure doesn't.  I would say NYX is wonderful dupe and with a better price point... DING DING DING...This battle is over! 

I hope you all found this edition of Epic Beauty Battle helpful!  Please leave any comments, feedback, or requests down below.  Also, you can follow me on both Instagram and Twitter - Both @geek2chicbeauty for updates, mini reviews, hauls, etc!  Stay Beautiful, Stay True!

Geek2Chic - Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment