Saturday, November 22, 2014

What's in my Makeup? The Truth About Parabens

Hello Beauties!

In today's blogpost, we will be discussing the truth about parabens.  Lately, I have noticed there are a lot of cosmetic brands that are going "paraben-free".  I feel that all ladies and gentlemen need to be smart consumers, myself included.  I want to know what I put on my face and body.  Is it dangerous?  What does it cause?  What the is a Paraben??? As a physician, I have done a ton of research into parabens.  I would like to share this information I found during my  research with you and include my thoughts at the end.  

What are Parabens?

A paraben is an ingredient frequently used in cosmetic and body products as a preservative.  They are very effective in preventing growth of bacteria and fungus.  Parabens basically prevent the product from spoiling and growing a colony of micro-organisms.  This will make your products last longer making them safe to use day after day.  

Parabens are derived from p-hydroxybenzoic acid (aka para-hydroxybenzoic acid aka 4-hydroxybenzoic acid aka PHBA).  PHBA are naturally occuring and found in fruits and vegtables.  

How do you spot them in your products?

The most common parabens used are:

  • Benzylparaben
  • Butylparaben
  • Ethylparaben
  • Methylparaben
  • Propylparaben

Basically, look for -paraben in the ingredients.  

Are Parabens safe?

A study was done in 2004 that shows parabens present in breast tumors. (1)  The study discussed its weak estrogen like properties and the influence that estrogen has on breast cancer.  I personally read through and analyzed this study and it leaves a ton questions left unanswered.  First, it's a very small sample size...  For those of you non-scientist, the more people you have to analyze, the stronger your study is.  Secondly, do the parabens directly cause cancer?   Are they in other tissue as well?   Ahh!  The confusion!!!!  

Although the FDA is not allowed to approve cosmetic ingredients (minus color additives), they have been keeping a close watch on the paraben controversy.  Parabens are used at incredibly low levels in cosmetics and body items.  Other studies have been done that show, based on a person's daily exposure, it is "implausible" that parabens could increase risk associated with exposure to estrogen-like chemicals. (2)  Basically, you would need to OVERDOSE on products containing parabens to cause any harm. Per the FDA.gov:

The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) reviewed the safety of methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben in 1984 and concluded they were safe for use in cosmetic products at levels up to 25%.  Typically parabens are used at levels ranging from 0.01 to 0.3%. (3) 

The "FDA believes that at the present time there is no reason for consumers to be concerned about the use of cosmetics containing parabens."(3) 

Can you be allergic?

An allergy to parabens is quite rare but not completely uncommon.  If you are sensitive, you would see skin irritation or a contact rash after use of a product that contains parabens.  

My thoughts...

Now that I have done my research and I am well informed I feel much better about giving my opinion on the topic.  All in all, there is insufficient evidence and studies on the topic.   There is no good study that prove parabens have a direct link to cancer in humans.  So, although parabens have estrogen like properties...they are very weak!  Much weaker than the natural estrogens produced by the human body.   

Now, knowing what I know...I will not take any special precautions in avoiding parabens.   Overall, they keep your products clean and keep bacteria and fungus at bay.  A clean product is a happy product and a happy product is a happy face, thank you very much!  

I hope you all found this blogpost to be helpful.  I want you all to be well informed, so now you can make your own decision.  Please leave any comments, feedback, or requests down below.  Also, you can follow me on both Instagram and Twitter - both @geek2chicbeauty for updates, mini reviews, hauls, etc!  Stay Beautiful, Stay True!

Geek2Chic - Christine  

Resources:
(1)http://www.dr-baumann.ca/science/Concentrations%20of%20Parabens%20in%20Human%20Breast.pdf
(2)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16097138
(3)http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductsIngredients/Ingredients/ucm128042.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment