Thursday, February 5, 2015

Makeup 101: Makeup Expiration Date

Hello Beauties!

So unlike the milk in your refrigerator, there is no expiration date on your makeup.  But that doesn't mean your makeup doesn't expire!  How do you know when to toss it?  If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know I have overhauled my vanity to get rid of old products.  This blogpost will be giving you a little guidance on when to get rid of old makeup, take advantage, and go SHOPPING! 



So like anything in life, the more you care for your belongings, the longer they last.  First of all, when you make a purchase, make sure it is unopened and unused!  I have this issue more so in the drugstore setting because they barely have any testers, but don't forget high-end products as well.  Carefully examine the product.  Make sure it is sealed!!!  If they are not, then don't be afraid to open it and check if someone swatched it.  (Okay, mini-rant...why the hell do people that!  It totally grosses me out.  Come on people.  The drugstore has a decent return policy, if you don't like it, just return it!  Don't get your germy, grimmy hands on my future products.  Yuck!)



When you get home, make sure you keep your products in a dry, cool place.  Keep it away from direct sunlight.  Try to avoid storing your makeup products in the bathroom.  Not to be gross, but airborne bacteria can contaminate your makeup products.   Do you want poop particles on your lipsticks?  I don't think so!



If you are like me, I stock up on my staple products when they are on super-sale.  If you leave them unopened and store them away, most products will stay stable for a while.  The moment you open your product, the clock starts ticking.  Here is a basic timeline for products....


3-6 Months:
Mascara

6 Months: 
Liquid Eyeliners
Eye Cream

12-18 Months:
Lipstick
Lipgloss
Lip and Eye Pencils 

12-24 Months:
Liquid and Cream Foundations
Concealer
Powder
Eyeshadow
Powder Blush
Cream Blush
Moisturizer
Sunscreen
Face Cream
Nail Polish

Word to the wise, take the sunscreen recommendation seriously.  I went to the Dominican Republic on my Bacholertte party with unused three-year old sunscreen.  I came back with second degree sunburn.  Needless to say, I will ALWAYS buy new sunscreen!  

There are a ton of guidelines I found online, however this is the timeline I follow because I take good care on my products.  A good idea to keep track of your products is to take a fine-tipped sharpie and write the month and year you purchased the product on the label itself.  This way you will know when to toss it without the guess work.  Also, to decipher if you should go 3 or 6 months for example, do a quick sniff test.  If the smell is funky, get rid of it!    


You always want to be as hygienic as possible.  You don't want to use old products that may have accumulated some bacteria or mold.  You want to make sure chemically it is safe to use on your face.  To keep products as clean as possible, your tools have to be as clean as possible too!  I have an older blogpost about how to clean your makeup tools if you need some tips!  If your tools happen to be your fingers, make sure both your face and your hands are clean before you apply the makeup.     

I included some photos from my personal stash.  I threw away about half the products I have except for the palettes...I could not bare getting rid of any of my eyeshadow palettes.  Please do not judge the volume!  I am very passionate about makeup so I constantly try out new products.  I joke with my husband that I work very hard to support my makeup addiction...Anyone else do the same? 

I hope you all enjoyed this blogpost.  If you have any questions, comments, feedback, or requests, please leave them in the comment section down below.  Don't forget to follow my blog to stay up to date!  You can also follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Pintrest, and Tumblr for updates, hauls, and mini-reviews.  All the links are in the sidebar.  Also, feel free to email me at geektochicbeauty@gmail.com.  Stay Beautiful, Stay True!

Geek2Chic - Christine 

2 comments: