Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Happy December...Let's Celebrate November Favorites!

Hello Beauties!

Happy December!!!  I know this is such a cliche but WOW, the year has really flown by!  Welcome to the last month of 2014 and I wanna celebrate by talking about my favorites and not so favorites of the past month.  Let's begin by celebrating the hits, shall we?


There have been several new products I have incorporated into my routine that I have been loving this past month.   

The Hits...

It Cosmetics, Your Lips But Better Waterproof Lip Liner Stain
$20.00
7 different shades
ItCosmetics.com, QVC.com, and Ulta 


I was never ever a lip liner girl and just never got the point of them because I have decently pouty lips.  Several months ago, I was getting ready for my cousin's wedding and I was on the hunt for a long wearing lip product.  I also wanted something to help my sister's lips look fuller.  I was perusing the aisles at Ulta and did several swatches of lip products to find the perfect color.  12 hours later, these three colors were the only ones remaining on my skin so now I was intrigued!  I went back and picked one up..and then another... and then another.  Needless to say, I have not been able to them down.  I like a low maintenance lip and these lip liners really fulfill that need.  They are long-wearing products with beautiful color, and I now am a lip liner convert!

Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick
$5.49 - 7.99
10 different shades
Various Drugstore retailers like Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc...


I am in love with this product!  I have four colors so far and am looking to own the entire line of shades.  These are matte shades but the product is so creamy and rich, and they do not dry out the lips.  Although they are drugstore products the quality of this line beat out some of my high-end lipsticks.  My favorite color is the one featured in the picture above called Touch of Spice.  This color is the perfect fall shade!  If you are a trendy girl this is a low cost alternative for the sought after "Kylie Jenner" lip.  I highly recommend this lipstick and promise you will not be disappointed.    

It Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Eyebrow Pencil 
$24.00
ItCosmetics.com, QVC.com, and Ulta


I received this product several months back as a gift at Ulta.  I put it aside while I was using my other brow products.  Over the past several months my brow routine has been getting really frustrating because I never have gotten it down pat.  My brows either looked too thick or too thin, too dark or too sparse; I could never find a good balance.  I finally pulled this out and gave it a shot.  Why did I not use this sooner?!?!  I really enjoy this product.  I love that it is a universal shade, I use a lighter touch towards the front of my brow and a heavier hand towards the end for a full & defined look.  It has a spooly on one side to brush up and through your brows for a more natural look.    Always remember, your brows are sisters and not twins... but I strive for biological sisters and not adopted sister..Haha!  

Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara
$20.00
TarteCosmetics.com, QVC.com, Ulta, and Sephora 


I purchased this mascara on the recommendation of my cousin...not to mention it was on sale for 1/2 the price.  The claim is that it is lenthening, volumizing, curling, and conditioning.  It does just that.  I can spend 5 minutes on each eyelash with layer after layer; this mascara does not clump up my lashes.  It defines and darkens them.  The mascara wears well and does not flake.  I highly recommend this mascara! 

Maybelline Eye Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner 
$5.99 - 7.99
Various Drugstore retailers like Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc...


I recently purchased this from Ulta.  For the life of me, I have never successfully been able to draw on a winged liner, cat eye, etc... I have found it to be so difficult.  I tried a pencil liner, gel liner, and liquid liner and failed time after time!  Well, I have found my solution!  Where have you been all my life!?!?!  This makes a winged eyeliner so easy!  Not only is it easy to use and apply, the color is a deep rich black.  It sets to a matte finish and is long wearing.  

LA Girl HD Pro Concealer
$2.99 - $5.00
18 different Shades
LAGirlUSA.com, Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, etc...


I have heard this concealer being compared to the cult favorite Mac Prolongwear Concealer.  Now,  I do not agree with that comparison, but it is still an excellent concealer especially for the price.  It is quite affordable and good quality.  It offers a wide array of shades to choose from.  I actually use four shades for different reasons.  I use two different shades under my eyes to cancel out the darkness and to highlight - Nude and Pure Beige.  To cover up dark spots or flaws on the rest of my face, I use either Medium Beige or Medium Bisque.  

Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit
$40.00
AnastasiaBeverlyHills.com, Ulta, and Sephora

Vanilla, Banana, Sand
Java, Fawn, Havanna 
I have been wanting this contour kit for months and months but it has ALWAYS been sold out!  I finally checked out the Anastasia Beverly Hills website and found it!  I ran to get my wallet and purchased it that very moment!  Boy, it was worth the wait and definitely lives up to the hype.  It comes with three lighter shades to highlight with.  I use the Vanilla shade all over my lid to neutralize the darkness.  The Banana shade is perfect to set your under-eye concealer.  Sand is a beautiful, finely milled highlighter on the tops of the cheekbones.   I use the contour colors alone or in combination to contour my face.  These colors blend easily and are so easy to work with.  Love it!  It is a must have for any professional makeup kit.   

The Balm Frat Boy Blush/Shadow
$21.00
theBalm.com, Nordstrom.com, and Amazon.com


This blush is a beautiful peachy, pink, coral color.  I purchased off of Hautelook.com (which is a Nordstrom Flash Sale website) several months ago at a considerable discount.  One of my favorite YouTube Gurus, EmilyNoel83 (if you don't follow her, do yourself a favor and check her out...she is amazing) raves about this blush so I thought I would give it a go.  I was not disappointed. This is the perfect blush to pair with any look.  I reach for it too often!  It is very pigmented, applies smoothly, and wears well.  Looking at the pan, the blush has a subtle shimmer but goes on the face matte.  I love this blush!   

Cover Girl Ready, Set, Gorgeous Foundation
$6.99 - 7.99
12 different shades
Various Drugstore retailers like Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc...


This foundation came out several months ago but I finally picked it up.  First of all, I found the perfect color match.  It blends seamlessly into the skin.  It provides a medium coverage and gives a flawless, natural finish.  It has good wear and I do not get oily at all with this foundation.  I do not even need to set this with powder because the finish is so wonderful.  I always seek out that no makeup-makeup look because I love being a natural beauty...This foundation does just that.  

Sonia Kashuk No. 24 Dense Blush/Powder Brush
$17.19 - 17.99
SoniaKashuk.com, Target



I have been on the hunt for the perfect blush brush.  I have gone through so many over the years and never have been truly satisfied.  Finally I have found perfection in a blush brush!  This applies the blush perfectly where I want it.  It is so soft and has a wonderful dense, rounded shape. It has kept its integrity wash after wash and it is affordable! 

The Misses...

And now onto the bad....I hate this part.  However, with the good comes the bad and in order to be a good blogger, I have to tell you about the products that have not performed well.  


Covergirl Lipslick Smoochies Lip Balm
$4.59 - 5.99
18 different shades
Various Drugstore retailers like Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc...



I remember this product as a teen.  This is one of the first products I purchased as a pre-teen.  I do not remember it being this awful!  First of all, the smell is overwhelming.  It has a strong chemical smell that translates to a strong chemical taste on your lips.  Also, there is no color payoff whatsoever!  Granted, it is a lip balm but if there is no color, why are there 18 shades of nothingness to chose from???  And this is an awful lip balm that feels so uncomfortable on the lips. This is going straight into the garbage.  I prefer anything over this product!  Steer clear...

Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara
$6.99 - 7.99
3 different shades 
Various Drugstore retailers like Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc...



I purchased this in the hopes of finding the drugstore alternative to the Benefit - Gimme Brow.  Boy, was I wrong.  This did nothing for me!  The color seemed to be a good match with my brows, but as I tried to comb it through, I wasn't getting any results.  Looking at the applicator, I was very confused.  First of all, the brush is very long and comes to a bulbous end of longer bristles.  This offered no precision and the product got all over the place.  Then, I went on the Maybelline website to figure out if I was doing something wrong.  You are actually suppose to brush your brows backwards and then go over it again forwards.  I tried that, again, the results were poor.  I think its a complete dud unfortunately.  

Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Mascara
$9.99
Various Drugstore retailers like Rite aid, CVS, Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc...


I have heard so many YouTubers rave about this mascara.  I thought, was there something I was seriously missing?  I purchased it when Physicians Formula was 40% off at Ulta.  I was really excited to try it.  The claims are that it is 100% free of harsh chemicals, hypoallergenic, and safe for sensitive eyes.  The claims could not be more wrong.  I could not wear this mascara for longer than an hour.  First off, it did nothing for my lashes and it flaked everywhere including directly into my eye! Then, it made my eye burn and sting so bad!  I reacted so badly that my eyelids were swollen afterwards.  After I used a cleanser to clean off the mascara, I could not stop tearing for hours!  I had to take benadryl, use cold compresses, and use lubricating eyedrops to help.  I have never had a reaction to mascara ever!  Mind you, I am a mascara addict and have tried tons of mascara and have never had a reaction.  I will never try this again.  In the trash it goes.

These are all my humble opinions.  I hope you enjoyed my November Hits and Misses!  If you have any question, feedback, requests, or comments, please leave them below.  Don't forget to follow my blog so you stay up to date.  You can also find me on Instagram and Twitter, both @geek2chicbeauty for updates, hauls, mini-reviews, etc.  Stay Beautiful, Stay True!

Geek2Chic - Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment